Two residents treated in hospital following fire at Lake Illawarra

A fire which broke out in a double-story unit at Pur Pur Avenue on Wednesday night has resulted in two people being taken to Shellharbour Hospital and another two occupants needing treatment on site for smoke inhalation.

According to The Mercury, the Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Warrawong and Shellharbour battled the blaze for over an hour and declared the fire extinguished at 11:26 pm.

There were no fatalities as all occupants were quickly evacuated. However, four residents were treated by the NSW Ambulance paramedics for smoke inhalation wherein two had to be taken to the hospital for further treatment.

At this stage, the incident is not being treated as suspicious according to the NSW Police.

Following the report by The Mercury, a “non-conventional heating device” is understood to have started the fire on the second level of the unit. The occupants used a gas camp burner inside their unit to keep warm that night according to the report.

Because of the incident, Fire & Rescue NSW Duty Commander Illawarra Andrew Erlik reminded the people that using “alternative methods” for heating can cause more danger than warmth this winter season. He said, “It’s a timely reminder you need to use appropriate heating devices so they’re not faulty.”

According to The Mercury, Inspector Erlik also warned about the use of outdoor heaters indoors since LPG, heat beads and the like emit poisonous carbon monoxide which, at extremely high levels, can lead to death.

The Chase and Tyler Foundation listed “Never bring an outdoor gas or fuel-burning appliance inside your home/tent or caravan” as one of the preventative measures against the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Photo credit: https://www.islhd.health.nsw.gov.au/Shellharbour_Hospital/other_services.asp