Deaths spark Greens’ push for renters to be protected from faulty gas heaters

Greens’ leader Greg Barber has been working with Goulburn Valley woman Vanessa Robinson, whose sons, Chase, 8, and Tyler, 6, died in the family’s rented Mooroopna property in 2010. An inquest into their deaths earlier this year found the boys died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a poorly serviced gas wall heater but stopped short of recommending legislative changes. Mr Barber says with more people living in rented homes, the vulnerable need to be protected. “So if your house…

Read More

Old gas heaters prompt concerns for preschool children’s safety atat Grace Park Preschool, Greensborough

A MELBOURNE kindergarten has installed gas detectors in a classroom, fearing old heaters could put students at risk. Staff at Grace Park Preschool, Greensborough, installed carbon monoxide detectors in July after staff were reportedly told by Banyule City Council workers classroom heaters would not be replaced. The devices activate an alarm if gas is detected, allowing teachers to evacuate the room. Preschool committee president Jamile Petridis said the heaters had stopped functioning properly and temperatures often dipped below 10C in…

Read More

Mother of baby who died from leaking fumes calls for safety checks

HE mother of a baby boy who died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a car last Friday is calling for mandatory safety checks on second hand vehicles. Ika Windiarti, 33, fell unconscious when the 1998 Ford station wagon she was driving filled with gas, causing the car to clip a tree and crash at low speed into a parked Mercedes-Benz opposite the Hilton RSL on Sir Donald Bradman Drive. The couple’s daughter, 7, was also overcome by the fumes seeping…

Read More

Gas poison victim tried to save son and mate

THREE deer hunters died in a caravan filled with deadly carbon monoxide fumes in Tasmania’s Central Highlands. And Coroner Glenn Hay has revealed that one of the victims had probably attempted to drag his unconscious mates to safety before being overcome himself. Rodney Williams, 53, son Matthew, 26, and Terry Bartle, 39, all from Tasmania, died at Top Marshes near Miena in March last year. The tragedy was blamed on a faulty gas fitting attached to a refrigerator that should…

Read More

Brivis Climate Systems Lends a Helping Hand to the Chase and Tyler Foundation

Brivis Climate Systems, Australia’s leading supplier of climate systems — has partnered with the Chase and Tyler Foundation over Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week to help bring awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home from faulty or inadequately maintained gas appliances. The Chase and Tyler Foundation is a new not-for-profit organisation working to reduce the risk of deaths and illness caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, with Brivis Climate Systems supporting the foundation’s launch event, held the 2nd of May 2013…

Read More

Father dies in bakery gas poisoning

A MELBOURNE man with two young sons has died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator at the bakery where he was working on Father’s Day. The man’s wife and a co-worker discovered the 43-year-old dead at a bakery in the outer eastern suburb of Ferntree Gully about 7am. A 23-year-old man was taken to the Maroondah Hospital where he is in a stable condition. Police said a petrol-fuelled generator was operating inside the bakery in anticipation of scheduled power…

Read More
Brooks
Miss Kiss
Griffiths Goodall
Energy Safe Victoria