Don’t let your time on the water turn into a tragedy. Avoiding the risks of carbon monoxide is easy if you know the danger and warning signs.
- Have your fuel-burning appliances serviced by a licensed gasfitter every 1 – 2 years.
- Ensure adequate ventilation when using gas and fuel burning appliances.
- Ensure water heaters are sealed off from sleeping areas.
- Maintain fresh air circulation throughout the boat at all times to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide.
- Never allow passengers to sit, body surf, or hang on the back deck while the engines are running.
- Maintain your engine. Engines that aren’t properly tuned produce more CO.
- If you smell exhaust fumes, carbon monoxide is also present. Take immediate action to dissipate these fumes.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms inside your boat.