Sticking to some basic but very important rules within the home will assist to protect you from the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

  • Service all gas and fuel-burning appliances every 1 – 2 years by a qualified gasfitter / plumber. Ensure they are qualified for Type A Appliance Servicing work (check the back of their license), and have completed the carbon monoxide testing course.
  • Ensure all chimneys and flues are swept and inspected annually.
  • Never DIY any ventilation appliances, such as extraction fans within your property that contain gas or fuel burning appliances. These ventilation appliances should installed by a licensed builder, gasfitter or electrician, to reduce the likelihood of poor ventilation or negative pressure (negative pressure can cause combustion products to be drawn back down the flue and spill into the home).
  • Always make sure there is enough fresh air in the room while operating your gas and fuel burning appliance.
  • Have a qualified gasfitter install a high standard audible carbon monoxide alarm outside sleeping and living areas.
  • Never bring an outdoor gas or fuel-burning appliance inside your home/tent or caravan.
  • Never leave your car’s engine running idle in an enclosed space, i.e.,an attached garage to your home.


A carbon monoxide alarm can provide added protection against carbon monoxide in emergency situations. An alarm is NO substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances.