Coroner warns after indoor barbecue death

THE great Aussie barbie can be fatal and should carry a warning.

That is the recommendation of coroner Mary Jerram after a man died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning after taking a charcoal barbecue inside to cook.

The victim, Asaad Jassem Al Mayahi, 43, died between July 11 and 13 last year at Stanmore in Sydney’s inner-west.

Following an inquest into his death, state coroner Mary Jerram found that he died from carbon monoxide poisoning after being exposed to the deadly fumes given off by barbecue briquettes burning indoors.

Ms Jerram told the Glebe Coroner’s Court that both charcoal briquettes and portable barbecues should carry warnings about the dangers of burning charcoal in enclosed areas. She recommended that NSW Fair Trading ensure all barbecue charcoal briquettes – whether imported, manufactured or sold in Australia – carry a warning explaining that barbecue charcoal can give off carbon monoxide, which has no odour, and can be lethal.

The coroner asked that the warning be extended to portable barbecues.

Miss Kiss
Griffiths Goodall
Energy Safe Victoria
Origin Energy