The Chase and Tyler Foundation Supports ‘Be Sure’ Campaign

Media Release

Energy Safe Victoria launched their new Carbon Monoxide Awareness Campaign – ‘Be Sure’ – on Tuesday aiming to remind Victorians about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and to urge them to act and keep themselves safe.

The Chase and Tyler Foundation, who has been working with ESV since 2010, fully supports the said campaign and will work tirelessly with ESV in spreading the campaign’s key messages:

  1. Service their gas heater at least every two years.
  2. Know how to use their heaters safely.
  3. And act quickly if they notice symptoms of carbon monoxide

According to ESV’s research, while 65 percent of Victorians use ducted gas heating or fixed gas space heaters, only half of us are taking actions to ensure the safe use of heaters this winter.

During our CO Awareness week this year, we held a free information event at Monash Children’s Hospital letting the public know about gas and fuel-burning appliance safety and carbon monoxide poisoning prevention. ESV had a variety of gas appliances on display during this event helping us educate the community members about appliance safety and about licensed gasfitters who are qualified to do gas-related appliance work.

As part of their new campaign, ESV will also hold a community event which details will be announced in the coming weeks.

To learn more about the ‘Be Sure’ campaign, please visit: https://www.esv.vic.gov.au/campaigns/carbon-monoxide/

For further information, interviews, and images, please contact:

Jonathan Granger
Head of Communication & Marketing
Energy Safe Victoria
P: (03) 9203 9744
E: jonathan.granger@energysafe.vic.gov.au

Vanessa Robinson  
Founder and Executive Director
The Chase and Tyler Foundation
P: 0459 484 821
E: info@chaseandtyler.org.au

 


Carbon Monoxide leak in Sydney East home sees seven people rushed to hospital

Five children and two adults were suffering from nausea and dizziness following a carbon monoxide leak traced to the home’s pool heater.

According to The Guardian, emergency services were called to the home on Wentworth Road where Fire and Rescue NSW’s crew detected high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). All seven people found inside the home were conscious but it was unclear who made the emergency call.

Following The Guardian’s report, the CO leak was traced to the pool’s heating system which uses natural gas and is now being investigated for any fault or flue malfunction.

According to The Chase and Tyler Foundation website, “Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas.”

Fire and Rescue NSW, following their findings, cut off the heater before ventilating the home.

The FRNSW spokesman warned against the dangers of CO poisoning urging people to take extra precaution in using outdoor heaters saying “If you have a flue, make sure it’s properly installed and functioning, and have it regularly checked.”

According to The Chase and Tyler Foundation website, a flue integrity check is part of the process of conducting an open-flued gas heater service and it is imperative that only a licensed and qualified gasfitter works on this type of gas service.


Two residents treated in hospital following fire at Lake Illawarra

A fire which broke out in a double-story unit at Pur Pur Avenue on Wednesday night has resulted in two people being taken to Shellharbour Hospital and another two occupants needing treatment on site for smoke inhalation.

According to The Mercury, the Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Warrawong and Shellharbour battled the blaze for over an hour and declared the fire extinguished at 11:26 pm.

There were no fatalities as all occupants were quickly evacuated. However, four residents were treated by the NSW Ambulance paramedics for smoke inhalation wherein two had to be taken to the hospital for further treatment.

At this stage, the incident is not being treated as suspicious according to the NSW Police.

Following the report by The Mercury, a "non-conventional heating device" is understood to have started the fire on the second level of the unit. The occupants used a gas camp burner inside their unit to keep warm that night according to the report.

Because of the incident, Fire & Rescue NSW Duty Commander Illawarra Andrew Erlik reminded the people that using "alternative methods" for heating can cause more danger than warmth this winter season. He said, “It's a timely reminder you need to use appropriate heating devices so they're not faulty.”

According to The Mercury, Inspector Erlik also warned about the use of outdoor heaters indoors since LPG, heat beads and the like emit poisonous carbon monoxide which, at extremely high levels, can lead to death.

The Chase and Tyler Foundation listed “Never bring an outdoor gas or fuel-burning appliance inside your home/tent or caravan” as one of the preventative measures against the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Photo credit: https://www.islhd.health.nsw.gov.au/Shellharbour_Hospital/other_services.asp