Women and baby suffer carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at Wallhalla

Three women and a 15-month-old baby from the same family are recovering after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning while camping in Victoria’s east.

The family went to bed with a butane heater on inside their tent at a camp ground near Walhalla, near Baw Baw National Park on Sunday night.

Family members went to check on the crying baby and found the three unconscious women inside the tent. They were dragged out into the fresh air and driven to hospital in nearby Sale.All four have since been released from hospital.

The incident came a week after the death of an Ararat man who was found inside his home using a camping heater attached to an LPG bottle. Officials are waiting for toxicology tests to determine if he died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Safety regulator Energy Safe said it was a reminder never to use gas appliances designed for outdoor use in enclosed spaces.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You can’t see it. You can’t smell it and you can’t taste it,” said Paul Fearon, Victoria’s director of Energy Safety. “The golden rule is if an appliance is attached to a potable gas bottle, don’t bring it inside.”

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, fatigue and nausea.

Miss Kiss
Griffiths Goodall
Energy Safe Victoria
Origin Energy