Geelong public housing tenants feel the winter chill as faulty heaters are reviewed

GEELONG properties are among more than 6500 Victorian public homes which have potentially dangerous gas heaters, the State Government says. Vulcan Heritage and Pyrox Heritage space heaters were removed from sale earlier this year after the Australian Gas Association raised concerns about potentially “unsafe levels of carbon monoxide” they produce. Around the state qualified tradespeople are testing the 1970s era heaters after the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) recommended public housing tenants stop using them. Norlane single mother-of-two…

Read More

Women and baby suffer carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at Wallhalla

Three women and a 15-month-old baby from the same family are recovering after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning while camping in Victoria’s east. The family went to bed with a butane heater on inside their tent at a camp ground near Walhalla, near Baw Baw National Park on Sunday night. Family members went to check on the crying baby and found the three unconscious women inside the tent. They were dragged out into the fresh air and driven to hospital in nearby…

Read More

Greystanes man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning in bid to warm bedroom

ALL Ajanthan Navarathinam wanted was to stay safe but on a cold winter’s night he made a tragic mistake that cost him his life. Ajanthan fled Sri Lanka in desperate circumstances with his brother Jisi three years ago, leaving behind his wife, young son and unborn daughter. The brothers boarded a leaky boat to Australia and spent months in detention centres before finally being granted a bridging visa. On Thursday night, the pair enjoyed a barbecue with friends at their home…

Read More

Ararat man’s death prompts warning

ARARAT has been saddened by the death of a man simply trying to stay warm. The 68-year-old was located deceased in a bed at his home in Barkly Street at around 4.30pm on Sunday. Police suspect the man had been using a carbon monoxide emitting outdoor gas heater in his bedroom to keep warm. Ararat police sergeant Shane Allgood said the death was particularly sad given it could have been prevented. “It appears to be the case that a reasonably healthy person…

Read More

Leongatha family’s narrow escape from silent killer

By Danika Dent Little Juhkobi is wheeled into the ambulance at the Lakes Entrance jetty on Tuesday morning. The 10 month old was put on oxygen for nine straight hours after the near death experience. Mum Rachael said her ‘stomach just dropped’ when she took hold of her ‘floppy’ baby. RACHAEL Simpson’s heart sank when her 10-month old baby, Juhkobi, was handed to her last week, limp and seemingly lifeless – a silent killer was present on their 30 foot…

Read More

Ashburton deaths a ‘tragic, terrible accident’, says top cop

Cindy George and her three children – Pio, Teuruaa and Teiyzshwaun – could have been dead for up to a week before they were found in an Ashburton house. Police have named the victims of an apparent accidental gassing as Cindy Tangipurunga George, 31, her daughter Pio Scarlet Jetejura Raukete, 5, and her sons Teuruaa Junior George, 3, and Teiyzshwaun Gordon Ricardo Nelder Kruz George, 2. Police believe George and her children died from the fumes of a car left running in…

Read More
Miss Kiss
Griffiths Goodall
Energy Safe Victoria
Origin Energy