Mother and two children rushed to hospital with serious carbon monoxide poisoning

A young family is lucky to be alive after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning from bringing an outdoor charcoal burner into their living room. Paramedics were called to an apartment on Lethbridge Street in Penrith, west of Sydney, just after 1am on Tuesday to reports a child was unconscious.

Fire & Rescue Superintendent Tom Cooper said two adults and two children had dragged a charcoal burner into the lounge room and gone to sleep around it. ‘We got a call from the Ambulance service because the doctor who looked at them realised what was wrong and suspected a gas leak’. But closer inspection revealed a BBQ burner had been brought inside the apartment to keep the family warm. 

The father drove the mother and two children to Nepean Hospital where they are being treated for serious carbon monoxide poisoning.

Supt Cooper said there wasn’t a working smoke detector in the unit and the family were very ‘lucky’. He said people need to be reminded about the dangers of using barbecue beads inside a house. 

It comes after four people from Bankstown were hospitalised on Monday after bringing an outdoor heater indoors. Just two weeks ago a young Sydney couple died at a semi-rural property at Kurrajong after they were overcome by carbon monoxide gas from a makeshift wood-fire heater. Helena Curic and Derek Kehler died while they slept in a makeshift cabin.

Miss Kiss
Griffiths Goodall
Energy Safe Victoria
Origin Energy