Sticking to some basic but very important rules within the home will assist to protect you from the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Service all fuel-burning appliances regularly as per the manufacturer’s recommendation or at a minimum of once every two years as recommended by Energy Safe Victoria & the Victorian Building Authority.
- Ensure all chimneys and flues are swept and inspected annually.
- Always make sure there is enough fresh air in the room while operating your fuel burning appliance.
- Have a qualified gasfitter install a high standard audible carbon monoxide alarm outside sleeping and living areas.
- Never bring an outdoor fuel-burning appliance inside your home/tent or caravan.
- Never leave your car’s engine running idle in an enclosed space, i.e., An attached garage to your home.
A carbon monoxide alarm can provide added protection against carbon monoxide in emergency situations. An alarm is NO substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances. Be sure to take adequate measures to prevent you and your family from falling victim to carbon monoxide poisoning.